About purchasing a TiVo® DVR and service
This information is expressly qualified by TiVo payment plans terms & conditions.
- Will I have to activate TiVo service upon receipt?
No, you will not need to activate TiVo service. Your TiVo DVR will ship with TiVo service pre-activated. You can ignore any directions in the Getting Started poster, Viewer's Guide, or Guided Setup to activate TiVo service online or by phone. We've already activated service for you.
- Can I buy a TiVo DVR and TiVo service separately?
Now, tivo.com sells packages which combine both the DVR and service as a package. You can purchase a DVR alone through our retailers and then you can activate the TiVo service at tivo.com/activate.
- What if I already have a TiVo DVR that I purchased in a retail store?
If you have a DVR that you purchased either through tivo.com prior to March 13, 2006 or in a retail store location, visit tivo.com/activate to activate service and set up your TiVo account.
- What happens when I complete my commitment?
After the end of your commitment, TiVo will continue to charge you on a monthly basis at the then-current monthly rate. See terms & conditions for TiVo payment plans for details. Keeping your account and credit card information current will help you avoid any interruptions in service.
- Do I own the TiVo DVR at the end of my service commitment or do I have to give it back?
After the 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee expires, you own the TiVo box. If you cancel the TiVo service before the end of your commitment period, you will be charged an early termination fee. See terms & conditions for TiVo payment plans for details.
- What happens if my TiVo DVR breaks during my service commitment?
All TiVo DVRs are subject to the standard TiVo DVR warranty. Please see the TiVo DVR limited warranty for details. TiVo also offers two (2) year and three (3) year extended warranty plans which may be purchased ninety (90) days from the earlier of the DVR purchase date or TiVo service activation date.
- The shipping address of my purchase is different than my billing address. How are taxes applied?
If the shipping address of your purchase differs from the current address on your TiVo account, the taxes charged in your first billing cycle will be based on the the shipping address. All tax charges following your first billing cycle will then be based on the address associated with your current TiVo account. To change your address, sign in to your account or call TiVo Customer Support at 1-877-367-8486.
- How does the money back guarantee work?
- TiVo offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Only applies to initial activations if canceled within 30 days and the TiVo box is returned for a full refund. If you cancel within 30 days of activation (which is typically the date your order ships), you will receive a full refund if you return the TiVo Premiere, Premiere XL, Premiere 4 or Premiere XL4 box and wireless adapter, if applicable, within 15 days of cancellation. The shipping charge for the return is at your expense. If you do not return the TiVo box and wireless adapter, if applicable, within the first 30 days of activation, you will be charged a "Non-returned Equipment Fee" equal to the MSRP of the TiVo Premiere, Premiere XL, Premiere 4 or Premiere XL4 and wireless adapter, if applicable, minus the upfront cost of the box and wireless adapter, if applicable. If you change your subscription plan within the first 30 days of activation, you may be charged a fee equal to the MSRP of the TiVo Premiere, Premiere XL, Premiere 4 or Premiere XL4 box and wireless adapter, if applicable, minus the upfront cost of the box and wireless adapter, if applicable, depending on the subscription plan you choose. Service plan renewals, and hardware replacements and upgrades are not eligible for the 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Returned DVRs must include all original components, literature, warranties and packaging in the same saleable condition in which it was received. Refunds for returns will cover product amount and any sales taxes charged. Refunds will not be made for any shipping and handling charges. Returns not meeting these requirements may be subject to a restocking fee equaling 15% of the retail value of the DVR (not including taxes). Damaged merchandise, cosmetically or otherwise, is subject to an increased restocking fee on a case-by-case basis. If an order has shipped, it is the purchaser's responsibility to accept the shipment and return the order per our Return Policy. Orders that are refused at the designated shipping address may incur a 15% restocking fee.