TiVo® Desktop software for the PC
TiVo Desktop software for the PC works with your network-connected TiVo box and your PC.
- Publish your personal music library to your TiVo box for playback through your TV and home entertainment system.
- Publish your personal photo library to your TiVo box for viewing photos and slideshows on your TV.
- Transfer shows from your TiVo box to your computer in order to view them.
- TiVo Desktop software is free to download!
June 5th, 2013
You can upgrade to TiVo Desktop Plus to convert shows for playback on your iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, PSP or other compatible device, or to transfer compatible web videos to your TiVo box for viewing on your TV.
In order to run TiVo Desktop, your computer should meet or exceed the following hardware requirements:
- 1 GHz P2 or equivalent processor
- 512 MB RAM
- 5 GB free disk space, plus an additional 1 to 3 GB for each hour of Standard Definition programs you transfer, depending on quality
The following TiVo Desktop features may require more computing resources than the basic computer features:
- Storage and playback of HD content
- Converting TiVo recordings to a portable media device format (requires TiVo Desktop Plus)
- Viewing web content on your TiVo box (requires TiVo Desktop Plus)
If you plan to use these features, we highly recommend that your computer have:
- 2.2 GHz P4 or equivalent processor
- 1 GB RAM
- 5 GB free disk space, plus an additional 5GB for each hour of HD programs you transfer
Your computer must also meet the following software requirements:
- Windows® 7, Windows® Vista, or Windows® XP, with Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later.
Your computer should always meet the minimum hardware requirements for the version of Windows installed, which may differ.
We also recommend installation of the following software:
- Windows Media Player 11
- Java™ Runtime environment 1.5.0_06 or higher if running Windows XP or Java Runtime environment 1.6 or higher if running Windows Vista. You may check the version installed on your machine by going to http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp and clicking on the 'Verify Installation' button.
Note for users of Windows XP: To run the TiVo Desktop installer, you must have "power user" (Administrator account) administrative rights on your Windows computer. This level of administrative rights is provided by default. If your administrative rights have never been changed, you should be able to install the TiVo Desktop software.
See the "Read Me" file in the "Start Menu" after installation for more information.
Want step-by-step instructions?