How to set up KidZone
TiVo KidZone gives you total control over what your kids see on TV. Personalize KidZone with only those shows and channels you pre-approve. Children cannot set up new recordings or change any settings on the TiVo box.
This feature is available on:
- TiVo Series2
- TiVo Series3
- TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL
Setting up KidZone
It takes just a few clicks of the remote to set up KidZone.
- Hide the steps
- To get started with KidZone, go to the TiVo Central screen, and select 'Settings & Messages' > 'Turn on TiVo KidZone.' See it
- Select "Yes, Turn on TiVo KidZone."
- Choose the appropriate age range and create a password. See it
- Adjust KidZone settings to fine-tune the content you want your children to watch. From TiVo Central, select 'Settings & Messages' > 'KidZone Settings.'
From here, you can control: See it
- the channels that are available to your children
- the age range of the shows your children watch
- the password you use to exit KidZone
- the content ratings of the shows your children watch
Note: KidZone and Parental Controls cannot be used together. Setting up KidZone clears all Parental Controls settings and turns off Parental Controls.
Watching shows in KidZone
When KidZone is turned on, your kids get their own "My Shows List!"
To enter KidZone, select "Enter TiVo KidZone" from the "My Shows List." See it
- The KidZone My Shows List contains only the shows allowed by the KidZone
settings you choose.
- While watching live TV in KidZone, the only channels available are those your children have permission to watch. Pressing the CHAN UP and CHAN DOWN buttons on the remote changes the channel only to allowed channels, skipping channels that are not allowed in KidZone. In KidZone, you cannot use the numbered buttons to change channels.
Adding shows to KidZone
With KidZone, there are many ways to add pre-approved shows to your kids' "My Shows List."
From KidZone My Shows, select "Add programs and change settings." You'll find three options for adding shows:
- View TiVo KidZone Guides: KidZone guides automatically record pre-selected kid-friendly content to your broadband connected TiVo box. Choose a Guide from the list, then select Get This Guide. Note: If you do not have a broadband connection, you can get TiVo KidZone Guides from TiVo Central Online at www.tivo.com/KZguides.
- Add Programs from the My Shows List: Use this option to add shows from your My Shows list to the KidZone My Shows list. Use the SELECT button on your remote control to check the boxes next to each show you want to add to KidZone. You can also use the SELECT button to uncheck the boxes next to a show that you want to hide.
- Find Programs to Record or Hide: Use this option to find shows like you would outside of KidZone. When you select a show to record, select "Options" and set the "Allow in TiVo KidZone" option to "Yes."
Hiding shows in KidZone
Want to make sure your kids can't see a particular show? No problem.
From KidZone My Shows, select "Add programs and change settings." You'll find two options for hiding shows:
- Add Programs from the My Shows List: Use this option to hide shows previously added from your My Shows list. Use the SELECT button on your remote control to uncheck the boxes next to shows that you want to hide.
- Find Programs to Record or Hide: Use this option to find shows like you would outside of KidZone. When you select a show to hide, select "Options" set the "Allow in TiVo KidZone option" to "No."
Select "Exit TiVo KidZone" from the top of KidZone My Shows. You must enter the password to exit KidZone.The TiVo box automatically re-enters KidZone after four hours of no TiVo remote activity.
Turning off KidZone
If KidZone is not for you, then you can turn it off from the "KidZone Settings" screen. From TiVo Central, select 'Settings & Messages' > 'KidZone Settings' > 'Turn off KidZone.' You can always get KidZone again if you change your mind.
Turning off KidZone clears any choices you have made about the age range, channels, or rating limits. If you later decide to get KidZone again, you will be prompted to make these choices again.