How to use the TiVo® App for Android Tablets
Now you can do just about everything you can do with your TiVo® remote control — find and explore shows, schedule recordings, control live TV and recorded shows, and more — from your Android tablet! Just download the TiVo app to your Android tablet, and you're ready to get started.
You can use the TiVo app for Android Tablets even if you don't have a TiVo DVR! If you do have a TiVo DVR, the app works with the following models:
- All TiVo Premiere DVRs
- TiVo HD and HD XL
Note: You can also use the Android app with your Kindle Fire. Learn more
Before you begin
Before you can use the TiVo App, you'll need to do the following:
- Hide the steps
- Download the TiVo app from Google Play (previously the Android Market. It's free!)
- If you have a compatible TiVo DVR, make sure it's connected to your home network.
- Make sure your Android tablet has Wi-Fi turned on, and that it is connected to the same network as your TiVo box. (On your Android tablet, tap Settings, then Wireless & Network. Make sure the checkbox next to "Wi-Fi" is selected. Choose your network from the available networks listed.)
- On your TiVo DVR, allow the Android tablet to access your TiVo DVR by turning on the "Network Remote Control" setting. From TiVo Central, select Messages & Settings > Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Network Remote Control. See it
If you don't have a compatible TiVo DVR, no problem! You can sign in to the TiVo App as a "guest." See Activating your TiVo app for instructions.
Activate your TiVo App
There are three ways to activate your TiVo app:
- When you're at home and using a TiVo Premiere series DVR, you'll sign in using a special number that identifies your TiVo box, called a Media access key (MAK). When you sign in with your MAK, you'll be able to use all the features of the TiVo app: you can control live TV, watch recordings from your My Shows list, record shows in real-time, get details about the shows currently airing on live TV, manage your To Do List and Season Pass® requests, and more. You'll only need to enter your MAK once, and then the TiVo app will remember it whenever you launch the app.
Note:This method is an option only if you are using a TiVo Premiere series DVR.
- If you are using a Series3 DVR, or if you're away from home but want remote access to your TiVo DVR, you'll sign in with your TiVo.com username and password. When you connect with this method, you are in "Away" mode. In "Away" mode, you can view your My Shows list, manage your Season Pass requests, search for shows by title or actor/director name, browse the guide or browse by category, and set up recordings.
- If you don't have a compatible TiVo DVR, you can take the TiVo app for for a test drive anyway! Just sign in as a "Guest." In "Guest" mode, you can search for shows by title or actor/director name, browse the guide, or browse by category.
Signing in with your Media Access Key
When you first launch the TiVo app, the app will search your network for compatible TiVo boxes. Once it finds your TiVo DVR, sign in as follows:
- Show the steps
- If you have more than one TiVo DVR in your network, select the TiVo DVR you want to connect to from the list. You can always choose a different box later from inside the app. See it
- On your TiVo DVR, find your MAK: go to Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > Media Access Key. See it
- On your Android tablet, tap the Media Access Key window to bring up the keyboard, and enter your MAK. Then tap "OK." See it
Signing in with your user name and password
You can sign in with your tivo.com user name and password when you're away from home, or if you're unable to sign in with your MAK. Here's how:
- Show the steps
Signing in as a guest
You can use the TiVo app even if you don't own a compatible TiVo DVR. To sign in as a guest:
- Show the steps
- Tap "Continue as a Guest." See it
- On the "Guest Experience" screen, read more about Guest Mode. Then tap "Continue."
- Tap the Zip Code window to bring up the keyboard, and enter your zip code. Then tap "Next."
- Tap on the name of your cable provider.
- Tap the "Email" window to enter your email address. Choose whether or not receive TiVo news and offers, then tap "Continue."
Viewing the Info Screen
If you are signed in with your MAK, the Info screen is the first screen you'll see when you enter the app. This screen displays information about the show that's currently airing on your TiVo DVR. As you change channels, the Info screen will update to reflect the show you're watching. See it
You can do lots of things from this screen, including:
- Tap "Watch Now" to watch the show on your TV (if it's currently airing).
- Tap "Explore" the show to learn more about its cast and crew, or to see a list of shows you might also like.
- Tap "Record" to set up a single recording or a Season Pass recording.
- Tap "Upcoming" to view a list of upcoming episodes.
- Tap "More" to watch the show instantly on your TV if it's available from other sources (like Hulu Plus or Netflix)
- Tap "More" to share your comments about the show with friends on Facebook or Twitter.
You can reach the Info screen at any time by pressing the Info button.
Note: The Info button is available only if you sign in to the app with your MAK.
Finding and exploring shows
You can find and explore shows with a few taps of the screen. Give it a try:
- Show the steps
- Tap the Search window at the top of the screen, and enter the title of the show or name of the actor you're interested in. A list of matches will appear beneath the search window. See it
- To browse the program guide, tap "Guide" at the bottom of the screen. Scroll the guide up or down to view more listings. (You can also search for particular channels by tapping at the top of the Channel column.)
- When you find a show you like, tap it to display information about it in the top portion of the screen. From there, you can choose to watch it on your TV (if it's currently airing), record it (if it's airing now or at a later date), explore it further, view upcoming episodes, or share your comments on Facebook or Twitter. See it
- To jump to a particular time, tap the date to bring up the date selector. See it
- Tap to find a particular channel (you can search by channel name or number).
- Tap "Browse" to browse collections of related content (like award winners), or to browse by category (like TV, movies, or sports). See it
Using the My Shows list
You can see your TiVo DVR's My Shows list on the TiVo app. Just tap "My Shows."
Tap a show to view information about it. You can watch the show on your TV by tapping "Watch now," explore the show, get or modify a Season Pass recording, delete the show from the My Shows list, view upcoming episodes, or share your comments about the show on Facebook or Twitter. See it
Note: You can sort the list by date or by show title. Just tap "Date" to sort by date, or tap "A-Z" to sort by title.
Note: The My shows list is available only if you sign in with your MAK.
Using the remote control
You can use the TiVo app for Android tablet's remote control to control live TV and recorded shows, or to navigate around your TiVo DVR's menus. Here's how:
- Show the steps
- Tap the remote control icon on the top right of the screen.
- Tap "Gestures" to show the gesture pad areas. In these areas, you can use touch-screen gestures, similar to the gestures used on other smartphone and mobile devices, to control your video. Tap the to display the gestures. See it
- Tap "Buttons" to show the remote control buttons. for navigating around TiVo menus and controlling playback. Use the buttons on the right of the screen to control your video. You can fast-forward, rewind, pause, slow motion, advance, instant replay, record, or give Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down ratings. Use the buttons on the left side of the screen to navigate around TiVo menus. See it
Note: The remote control is available only if you sign in to the TiVo app with your MAK.
Managing your shows
You can use the TiVo app to manage your TiVo DVR's To Do List and your Season Pass requests.
- Show the steps
- Tap "Manage" at the bottom of the screen, then tap "To Do List." Tap a show title to get information about it. From there, you can cancel the recording, get or modify a Season Pass request, view upcoming episodes, explore the show, and more. See it
- Tap "Season Passes." See it
- To change the priority of Season Pass requests, press the menu button on your tablet, tap "Reorder." Then, drag and drop your shows into the order you'd like. To get more information about a show, tap its title.
Note: You can manage your shows only if you sign in to the TiVo app with your MAK.
Sharing on Facebook & Twitter
As you explore shows in the TiVo App, you can easily publish your comments about them on Facebook and Twitter.
- Show the steps
- Choose a show from your My Shows list, the guide, or any browsing screen.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap "Share," then tap either "Share on Facebook" or "Share on Twitter." See it
- If prompted, sign in to your Facebook or Twitter account.
- Enter your post or tweet, and tap "Publish."
Changing your selected DVR
To connect to a different compatible TiVo DVR in your network, tap the DVR name at the top left of your screen. Then select another DVR. See it
Changing settings & signing out
To change settings or manage your Facebook or Twitter accounts, tap the TiVo icon, then tap "Settings." You'll see the following options: See it
- TiVo account: Displays how you are signed in to the TiVo app. Tap "Sign Out" to sign out.
- Facebook/Twitter account: Tap "Login" to sign in.
- Sound effects: Turn TiVo app sound effects on or off.
- Channel filter: Choose which channels to display.
- About this app: Displays TiVo app information.
- Technical support: Links to tivo.com's support site.
- Reset application: Read legal information about the TiVo app.