How to use the TiVo Slide remote control
The TiVo® Slide remote introduces a slide out keypad to the classic TiVo remote. Use the standard QWERTY keypad to make text entry into any TiVo screen quick and easy, then slide the keyboard out of sight for regular navigation. The best of both worlds!
This feature is available on:
- TiVo HD and HD XL
- All TiVo Premiere boxes
- TiVo Mini
Setting up your remote
The first time you use the TiVo Slide remote with your TiVo box, you will need to go through a one-time setup process:
- Show the steps
- Insert the supplied AA batteries into the remote.
- Plug the supplied USB receiver into the USB port on the back of your TiVo box. You must plug in the USB receiver to use the remote’s slide-out keyboard.
Note: A USB extension cable is also supplied. If you experience poor reception between the TiVo Slide remote and the USB receiver (not typical), use the cable to position the receiver in a more optimal position for communication with the remote. The best position is usually near the front of the TiVo box. To use the cable, simply connect the USB receiver to one end of the cable, and plug the other end of the cable into the USB port on the back of the TiVo box.
- Congratulations! Your remote is ready to use.
Your remote is now in Bluetooth® mode. The activity indicator light on the remote control flashes blue with each button press.
Programming your remote
You can control your TV’s power, input, volume, and mute functions with the TiVo Slide remote:
- Show the steps
- Press the TiVo button on your remote control to go to the TiVo Central® screen.
- Select 'Settings & Messages,' then 'Settings,' then 'Remote, CableCARD, & Devices,' then 'Remote Control Setup.'See it
- Using the on-screen instructions, program your remote for functions relevant to your audio and video setup at home.
If you are unable to find a code that works using the on-screen programming procedure described above, the TiVo Slide remote can “learn” how to control your TV‘s power, input, volume, and mute functions directly from other remotes.
- Show the steps
- Press the TiVo button and the SELECT button simultaneously, and hold them for three seconds, until the amber activity indicator light remains lit. The remote is now in "learning mode."
- On the TiVo remote, press and release the button you want it to learn (for example, TV PWR). The activity indicator light will flash once to acknowledge the button press, then remain lit.
- Point the remotes directly at each other, no more than 4 inches apart.
- Press and hold the corresponding button on the TV or A/V receiver remote (e.g., Power).
- If learning is successful, the activity indicator light will flash 4 times. If it is not successful, the light will blink 10 times very quickly.
- Repeat steps 2-5 for any additional buttons (VOL UP, VOL DOWN, INPUT, MUTE).
- When done, press the TiVo button to exit learning mode and return the remote to normal operation.
Tips & tricks
Here are a few things to remember when using your TiVo Slide remote.
- To use the integrated QWERTY keyboard, you must be in Bluetooth mode (the Bluetooth receive must be plugged into the back of your TiVo box).
- When your remote is not in Bluetooth mode (e.g., if the USB receiver is not plugged into your TiVo box), it will still function as a typical TiVo remote using only infrared signals; however, you will not be able to use the slide-out keyboard. In infrared-only mode, the remote’s activity indicator light flashes amber with each button press.
- You can tell if your remote is in Bluetooth or infrared mode by looking at the color of activity indicator light at the top of the remote. When you press a button, this light flashes blue in Bluetooth mode or amber in infrared mode.
- In rare instances, you may find your remote in infrared-only mode even though the USB receiver is plugged into the TiVo box. In this case, you will need to enable Bluetooth manually. Simply press and hold the TiVo button and the B button simultaneously until the remote’s activity indicator light starts blinking blue. Then press and hold the button on the USB receiver until its LED starts blinking. When pairing is successful, the remote’s activity indicator light will blink rapidly five times and then go off.
- The TiVo Slide remote lights up in darkened rooms. To turn this feature off, press and hold the TiVo and THUMBS DOWN buttons until the activity light blinks three times. To turn the feature on again, press and hold the TiVo and THUMBS UP buttons until the activity indicator light blinks three times.
- If you use a wireless adapter to connect to the TiVo service, leave at least 12” of space between the adapter and the remote’s USB receiver for optimal performance.