Do just about everything you can with your TiVo® remote control — find and watch shows, schedule recordings, control live TV and recorded shows, and more — from your iPad® or iPhone®! And when you have a TiVo BOLT, TiVo Roamio Plus/Pro, or TiVo Stream, you can also watch recorded shows or in-progress recordings wherever you are...even away from home! To top it all off, the TiVo app gives you access to streaming content from all across the web. Just download the TiVo app, and you're ready to get started.
The TiVo app works with the following TiVo boxes:
- TiVo BOLT®(all models)
- TiVo Roamio® Plus/Pro
- TiVo Roamio (2-tuner)*
- TiVo Premiere (all models)*
- TiVo HD (all models)*
- TiVo Series3*
* Requires TiVo Stream to stream or download shows to your mobile device.
Before you begin
Before you can use the TiVo app, you'll need to do the following:
- Make sure your iPad or iPhone is running the latest iOS software (at least iOS 7.0).
- Download the latest TiVo app from the iTunes App Store. It's free! If you already have the app, make sure you are running the latest version, with no updates pending. (Note: The TiVo app will not run on jailbroken iOS devices.)
- Make sure you have a compatible TiVo box connected to your home network.
- If you want to stream or download recordings to your iPad or iPhone, make sure that you have a TiVo BOLT, TiVo Roamio Plus/Pro, or TiVo Stream (with a compatible TiVo box) connected to your home network.
- Make sure your iPad/iPhone has Wi-Fi turned on, and that it is connected to the same network as your TiVo box.
Setting up the TiVo app
The first time you launch your TiVo app, you'll go through a one-time set-up process.It only takes a minute.
- Launch the TiVo app.
- Sign in to the app using your TiVo.com username and password.
- If prompted, select the primary TiVo box to use with the app. (You will only be prompted if you have more than one compatible box on your home network.) You can always switch to a different TiVo box later.
- If you have a TiVo BOLT, TiVo Roamio Plus/Pro, or TiVo Stream and this is the first time you are setting up the app, streaming setup will begin. If you have just upgraded the app, start streaming setup by going to 'Settings' and choosing 'Setup.'
- Follow the on-screen prompts to set up in-home and out-of-home streaming.
- In home streaming means that you can stream recordings to your iPad/iPhone only when you are connected to your home network.
- Out-of-home streaming means that you can stream recordings to your iPad/iPhone even when you are away from your home network.
What to Watch
The What to Watch screen is the first screen you'll see when you enter the app. This screen shows you categories of shows that are on TV right now, ready to watch. Just tap on an image to learn more: you can watch the show or choose to record it, view upcoming showings, or explore the show further.
The Info screen
You can reach the Info screen at any time by tapping the Info button. This screen displays information about the show that's currently airing on your TiVo box. As you change channels, the Info screen will update to reflect the show you're watching.
You can do lots of things from this screen, including:
- Tap "Watch Now" for viewing options.
- Tap "Get this show" to set up a single recording or a OnePass selection on your TiVo box.
- Tap "Upcoming" to view a list of upcoming episodes.
- Tap "Explore" to learn more about the show’s cast and crew, or to see a list of shows you might also like.
- Tap "Share" to share your comments about the show with friends on Facebook or Twitter.
Note: The Info screen is not available if you are away from your home network.
Finding and watching shows
Find, explore, and watch shows in just a few taps of the screen. Give it a try:
Tap the Search icon at the top of the screen, and enter the title of the show or name of the actor you're interested in. A list of matches will appear beneath the search window. Tap the best match to get more information about it. Depending on the show, options include:
- Tap "Watch Now" to watch the show on your TV or iPad/iPhone or to get the show from another source (like Amazon, HBO GO, or Netflix).
- Tap "Get this show" to set up a single recording or a OnePass on your DVR.
- Tap "Upcoming" to see which episodes are coming up. When you find one you want to watch or record, tap the title for more options.
- Tap "Share" to share your comments about the show with friends on Facebook or Twitter.
- If a show is not currently available to record, you'll have the option to tap "WishList" to set up a TiVo WishList® search. Your DVR will automatically record the show the next time it appears on TV.
Tap the Guide button at the bottom of the screen to browse the program guide. Scroll the guide columns up or down to view more listings. (You can also use the numbers on the side of the screen to skip quickly to a range of channels.)
- When you find a show you like, tap it to display information about it. If the show is currently airing or available to stream, you can choose to watch it on your TV or iPad/iPhone. Or, you choose to record it on your DVR (if it's airing now or at a later date), explore it further, view upcoming episodes, or share your comments on Facebook or Twitter.
- To jump to a particular time, tap the date at the top of the Guide to bring up the date selector.
- Tap to find a particular channel (you can search by channel name or number).
- Browse collections of related content (like award winners), or browse by category (like movies, TV, or sports). Just tap "Browse" on the iPad, or tap "More" then "Browse" on the iPhone.
- Tap the Search icon at the top of the screen, and enter the title of the show or name of the actor you're interested in. A list of matches will appear beneath the search window. Tap the best match to get more information about it. Depending on the show, options include:
To get to the My Shows list, tap “My Shows” at the bottom of the screen. There are two tabs on the My Shows screen.
- Tap “On DVR” to watch shows from your TiVo box’s My Shows list, even if you're away from home. Tap a show’s title to:
- Watch the show on your TV or iPad/iPhone.
- Get or modify a OnePass selection.
- Delete the show from the My Shows list.
- Download a recording to your iPad/iPhone. See Downloading recordings for instructions.
- View upcoming episodes.
- Explore the show.
- Choose "More" to set a show to "Keep Until I Delete," or to share your comments about the show on Facebook or Twitter.
- Sort by date or by show title. Just tap "Date" to sort by date, or tap "A-Z" to sort by title.
Note: If you're using a Series3 DVR, you can view your My Shows list but you cannot make changes to it.
- The On iPad or On iPhone tab shows you your list of recordings that have been downloaded (or are in the process of downloading) to your mobile device . See Downloading recordings and Watching downloaded shows for instructions.
The first time you go to the "On iPad" or "On iPhone" tab, it will most likely be empty. That's because you haven't downloaded any shows yet! Let's fix that.
- Tap "My Shows."
- Tap the "On DVR" tab to view the DVR's My Shows list.
- Tap the title of the recording you want to download, then tap "Download."
- Choose a download quality, then tap "Download with these options." Note that "Best" quality downloads will take up more space on your iPad/iPhone than "Medium" or "Standard" quality downloads.
- Tap "On iPad" or "On iPhone" to see your recording added to the download queue.
If you have more than one recording waiting to download, you can rearrange the order in which they'll download or delete recordings from the download queue:
- Tap "Edit" on the "On iPad" or "On iPhone" screen.
- To rearrange the download order, drag and drop shows into the order in which you want to download them.
- To delete a show, tap the empty circle next to each show you want to delete, then tap "Delete."
Watching downloaded shows
Here's how to watch a downloaded show (even one that's still downloading).
- Tap "My Shows" at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap "On iPad" or "On iPhone."
- Downloaded shows appear at the bottom of the download queue (if any shows are in the queue). Tap a show to view information about it. Choose "Watch now," then "Watch on iPad/iPhone" to watch the show on your mobile device. You can also delete it from your iPad/iPhone.
Note: Downloaded shows are available to watch only from the TiVo app. If you uninstall the TiVo app, the downloads will be deleted from your iPad/iPhone.
The remote control
Use the TiVo app's remote control to control live TV and recorded shows, whether they are streaming to your iPad/iPhone or on your television, or to move around the TiVo menus.
- Tap the remote control icon on the top right of the screen.
- Tap "Buttons" on the iPad or the Remote icon on the iPhone to show remote control buttons. You can navigate around the TiVo menus, or you can fast-forward, rewind, pause, slow motion, advance, instant replay, record, or give Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down ratings.
- Tap "Gestures" on the iPad or the Gestures icon on the iPhone to show the gesture pad areas. In these areas, you can use touch-screen gestures to control your video. Tap the Info icon to display the gestures.
- Tap the remote icon again to hide the remote.
Note: The remote control is not available if you are away from your home network.
Managing your shows
Manage your To Do List and OnePass selections with the TiVo app.
- On the iPad, tap "Manage," then tap the "To Do List" tab. On the iPhone, tap "More" and then tap "To Do List."
- Tap a show title to get information about it. From there, you can set up or cancel a recording, get or modify a OnePass selection, view upcoming episodes, explore the show, change recording options, and more.
Note: If you are using a Series3 DVR, you can view your To Do List, but you cannot make changes to it.
- On the iPad, tap the "OnePasses" tab. On the iPhone, tap "More" to return to the menu, then tap "OnePass Manager".
- To change the priority of your OnePass selections, tap "Reorder" (on the iPad) or "Edit" (on the iPhone), then drag and drop your shows into the order you'd like. To get more information about a show, tap its title.
Sharing on Facebook & Twitter
Share your thoughts about your favorite shows, right from the TiVo app.
- Choose a show from your My Shows list, the guide, or any browsing screen.
- Tap "Share" in the top part of the screen, then tap either "Share on Facebook" or "Share on Twitter."
- Enter your post or tweet, and tap "Share."
Note: You must be logged on to the Facebook or Twitter app to post/tweet directly from the TiVo app.
Changing your selected TiVo box
To connect to a different TiVo box in your network, tap the name of the currently-connected DVR at the top left of screen (on the iPad) or tap "More" then tap "Selected DVR" (on the iPhone). Use the scroll wheel to select another box.
Changing settings & signing out
- TiVo account: Displays whether you are signed in with your MAK, your tivo.com user name, or as a Guest. Tap "Sign out" to end your session.
- Setup: Launches the setup process for a TiVo BOLT, TiVo Roamio Plus/Pro, or TiVo Stream. Tap this option if the installation instructions do not launch automatically when you first set up your TiVo BOLT, TiVo Roamio Plus/Pro, or TiVo Stream, or if you want to set up another streaming device.
- System Information: Displays the status, TiVo Service Number, and other information related to streaming devices on your network.
- Broadband Test: Tests the connection speeds of your streaming devices.
- Facebook/Twitter: Tap "Login" to sign in to these apps.
- Sound Effects: Turn TiVo app sound effects on or off.
- Guide Channels: Choose which channels to display.
- Version: Displays the TiVo app version number.
- About this app: Displays TiVo app information.
- Technical support: Links to tivo.com's support site.
- TiVo User Agreement, Privacy Policies, and Legal Notices: Important information about the TiVo Service.
- Reset application: Removes all account information and settings. After resetting, you will need to sign in to the app again.
iOS, iPad, and iPhone are registered trademarks of Apple, Inc. registered in the US and other countries.